The Cabarrus County Partnership for Children is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization with a mission to connect purpose, people and programs to ensure child well-being in Cabarrus County, North Carolina. This mission is fulfilled by assessing the needs of our community and implementing services through our 3 core activities: Health, Early Education, Family Outreach.
Why our work is important
The Cabarrus Partnership for Children is a collaborative organization that contracts with many community partners in order to implement services that meet our goal of preparing children in Cabarrus County for success in kindergarten.
- Children in Cabarrus County are entering kindergarten without the necessary literacy skills needed to succeed in school and beyond.
- Approximately 37% of children entering kindergarten in Cabarrus County Title 1 elementary schools are scoring below the target indicators for early literacy skills (Cabarrus County Schools, Department of Federal Funding).
- Poor literacy skills in youth hinder an individual’s ability to further their education, obtain a job and contribute to society.
- Approximately 18% of adults living in Cabarrus County are not functionally literate (Cabarrus County Needs Assessment 2008). Without intervention this cycle is one that will continue.
- The first five years are the most critical in the development of a child's brain.
- The early years are so defining that by the time children turn eight, their third-grade outcomes can predict future academic achievement and career success.
- Children who are healthy and prepared when they enter kindergarten do better in school and are more likely to graduate and enroll in college. Well-educated adults are more prepared for the job opportunities in a global marketplace and will contribute to the strength of their community.
- Health in the earliest years lays the groundwork for future well-being. High quality early learning with health and nutritional components help prevent adult chronic diseases and promote better health.
Programs for FY2021-2022:
- Assuring Better Child Health & Development
- Breastfeeding Peer Support
- Child Care Health Consultants
- Child Care WAGE$
- Dolly Parton's Imagination Library
- Early Education Liaisons
- Emergency Dental Services
- Family Education and Support
- NC Pre-Kindergarten Program
- Parents as Teachers/Attachment Bio-Behavioral Catch-Up
- Reach Out and Read
- Substance Use Network (SUN) Project